Paris cityscape from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris

19 May 2010

Day 14

Buts:
- To talk about where we and others go using the verb aller and the contractions à la, au, and aux
- To identify and understand formation of le futur proche

Today we reviewed for and took Quiz 2, which covered the conjugations of aller and contraction formation. If you were absent today, see me as soon as possible so that we can make arrangements for you to make up the quiz.

After the quiz, I introduced the near future tense. In French, it's called le futur proche. We use the same tense in the same way in English to talk about our immediate plans. For example:

I'm going to go to Paris this summer.
I'm going to study at the library.
I'm going to watch a movie tonight.

In French, le futur proche is formed by conjugating the verb aller and keeping the second verb in the infinitive (unconjugated) form. So if we wanted to translate the English sentences above into French, we would get:

Je vais aller à Paris cet été.
Je vais étudier à la bibliothèque.
Je vais regarder un film ce soir.

And here's the verb danser ("to dance") conjugated in the near future:

je vais danser ("I am going to dance")
tu vas danser ("You are going to dance")
il/elle va danser ("He/she is going to dance")
nous allons danser ("We are going to dance")
vous allez danser ("You are going to dance")
ils/elles vont danser ("They are going to dance")

You can find a great description of le futur proche on pg. 165 in your textbooks. If you were absent today, PLEASE STUDY THIS PAGE. We will continue to work with le futur proche over the next several days.

Homework: Regardez la pluie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.